Electrical Repairs and Maintenance

Product Description

Almost all electrical installations will require remedial attention of some kind due to general wear and tear. Electrical repairs can be prompted by a visible fault in the electrical appliances, fuse boxes, fittings and/or the wiring as reported by the tenant, agent or landlord, but it is not uncommon for many faults to go unnoticed for a long period of time. The safest way to establish if a repair or maintenance is needed is to use a registered electrician who will be able to identify any faults or risks whilst inspecting the electric system.

Who can carry out electrical repairs and maintenance?

As advised by the HSE, repairs should only be carried out by a competent person (someone who has the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to carry out the work safely).

In this context, a competent person is someone who has the suitable training, skill and knowledge for the task to be undertaken to prevent injury to themselves and others.

What is improper electrical wiring?

One of the most common faults found in UK homes is improper electrical wiring, and one of the major causes of electrical fires is faulty and aging wiring in the home.

Some of the most common electrical wiring problems include inadequate overload protection, insufficient electrical service and unsuitable earthing.

Some of the common warning signs include burning smells, sounds of arcing (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping.

Improper electrical wiring not only puts the occupants at a great risk of being electrocuted, but also increases the chances of electrical fire break-outs in the home.

When is a rewire required?

As stated by the NICEIC:

There are no set guidelines as to when a property should be rewired. Just because your wiring is old, it does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe. Many factors can affect the wear and tear of your electrical installation, including the materials used and how your property has been used.

The NICEIC would advise that a periodic inspection is carried out on owner-occupied properties at least every 10 years and every five years in rented accommodation. The test will certify whether the electrics in a property are safe and tell you if anything needs upgrading.

You should carry out regular checks around the house on the condition of your cables, switches, sockets and other accessories. If you notice anything unusual – for example, burn marks on plugs and sockets, sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping – get a registered electrician to check your electrics as soon as possible.

What are the risks of electrical faults?

Under normal circumstances when electrical devices reach the end of their lifespan they just stop working without causing any serious issues. In some cases, however, a fault either within the device or with its supply cabling will cause it to pose a substantial risk. For instance, a mains supply cable might become worn-out due to prolonged rubbing against another object and directly connect the power to the ground.
Electrical faults may also be caused by human error – such as a person cutting a cable or a cable melting if accidentally placed close to a hob burning hot. Recently, more and more insurers have also linked rising house fires to electrical faults caused by counterfeit telephone chargers.
Electrical faults pose risks of fire, but also damage to other equipment in close proximity and to the supply wires, but also potential electrical shocks to people.

How can Landlords maintain a safe electrical installation?

Landlords must ensure:
• Extension cables and sockets are not overloaded with multiple appliances. It is advised to use one plug per socket
• RCD protection on fuses should be installed to ensure electrical equipment does not lead to dangerous shocks, and that it trips when the test button is pressed
• Broken socket covers, plugs or cables should be replaced immediately
• Protective bonding and earthing should be put in place so that electrical faults do not lead to shocks or fires
• Appropriate cables are used for all appliances, circuit breakers and fuses
• Official/original chargers and electrical cables should be used
• Make sure appliance covers, casings and cables are not frayed or otherwise damaged, as they could pose a fire risk or lead to an electrocution
• Ensure that the area surrounding the fusebox is clear of any flammable items, volatile chemicals or other fire risks
• Check that light fittings, plug sockets, switches and other fittings are securely fixed to the wall or ceiling
• Look for signs of electrical damage and take immediate action when such problems are identified
• Make sure cables are in a sensible position and are not likely to suffer any damage
• Make sure you have a smoke alarm fitted on every floor of the house and regularly check them to make sure they work properly
• Check that audible CO alarms are located in every room that contains a fuel-burning appliance, and that they work properly
• Arrange an inspection of the property’s electrical installation once every five years. This is legally mandatory for houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), and are strongly recommended in other rented properties
• Only use registered electricians for any electrical work, and confirm that all building and electrical work complies with Part P of the Building Regulations
• Make sure all electrical appliances provided to the tenants at the beginning of the tenancy are PAT tested regularly
• Purchase electrical items from a reputable source and check that they have a British or European safety (BS or CE) mark when buying it
• Advise residents not to cover items when charging them as they emit heat and not to leave them charging unsupervised for long periods of time

Why choose Pyramid Solution for your electrical repair?

We carry out all electrical works including rewiring, light fixtures, switches, sockets and more. All work is carried out to all necessary standards and regulations by our experienced and dependable team. On completion, all works will receive a certificate to prove that it is safe and meets standards and regulations.

We are an Approved Contractor and Domestic Installer registered by NICEIC and as such we are fully compliant with the relevant technical and safety standards, codes of practice and rules of the schemes we are registered to.

We are fully covered by our Liability Insurance.

We are also authorised to self-certify our work to the Local Building Control Body, which saves landlords and agents both time and money when undertaking work that requires notification under the Building Regulations.
We have a wide experience working with estate agents and private landlords in London and Essex and have a deep understanding of their rental and property management needs.
We provide a no-obligation quotation for the required works thus saving you time and resources in looking further to get a fault fixed.

NICEIC Approved Contractor