Energy Efficiency Measures
- What energy efficiency measures are available and how to choose the best one for my property?
- The benefits of having External Wall Insulation
- The benefits of condensing boilers and heating controls
- Loft insulation
- The benefits of loft and roof insulation include
- Why choose Pyramid Solution for your energy efficiency measures?
In simple terms, improving energy efficiency means getting more from the energy that we use.
Under the UK National Energy Efficiency Action Plan published in April 2014 the UK’s target was set at the level of 129.2 million tonnes of oil equivalent (mtoe) for final energy consumption on a net calorific value basis. This represents an 18% reduction in final energy consumption, as part of the EU 2020 Energy Efficiency Target.
With the uncertain post-Brexit energy climate, the abolition of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the transfer of its roles to the new Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (DBEIS), the future of state and EU-subsidised energy efficiency measures remains uncertain. The need for energy efficiency however remains unchanged, irrespective of the political and economic situation simply because the benefits of energy efficiency are unquestionable. This is why the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy has now given homeowners and landlords head start in making the most of the new Green Homes Grant scheme which is part of the government’s plans to build back greener, with more than 600,000 new homes set to become more energy efficient and more than 100,000 skilled jobs supported.
Some of the global benefits of energy efficiency:
• economic growth
• bolster productivity
• increasing growth and reducing inflation
• savings for domestic and business consumers
• tackling of fuel poverty
• emission reductions
• sustainable and secure energy system
In line with the above, the DBEIS unveiled on Friday 28 August a new opportunity for consumers to get tips for making their homes more energy efficient, and details of how the Green Homes Grant scheme can make installations cheaper. These are available on a revamped Simple Energy Advice website.
The site offers a quick energy survey for consumers to see how energy efficient their homes already are, and where improvements can be made. Taking as little as 5 minutes, once completed homeowners and landlords can receive a personalised energy plan.
What energy efficiency measures are available and how to choose the best one for my property?
All of the applicable energy improvements to your property are listed on your property’s energy performance certificate (EPC) or green deal advice report (GDAR), also known as an occupancy assessment (OA).
One of the best ways to get a warmer, greener, and better home is to install external or internal wall insulation.
Properties built before 1930 tend to have solid walls, where the main external walls consist of a solid brick about 250mm in thickness. In these properties, internal or external insulation needs fixing to the solid walls to help slow down the movement of heat through them.
A property can lose over 40% of its heat through solid walls. Living in an uninsulated home could be costing you hundreds of pounds a year. The solution is solid wall insulation which can significantly reduce heat loss, save you money on your energy bills, benefit the environment by reducing carbon emissions and improve the appearance of your property.
The benefits of having External Wall Insulation:
• EWI will help you save money on heating bills
• It will minimise heat loss and gain (warm in winter, cool in summer)
• It will improve the energy efficiency in your home
• It can provide reduction in sound transmission and thus improve the acoustics of your building by keeping the noise out
• It will also improve the appearance and increase the value of your home
• It will provide a weatherproof durable architectural facade
• It satisfies Part L of the building regulations and meets NHBC requirements
• And last but not least, it will help the Environment by burning less fossil fuel
Another improvement which can greatly benefit your property, rental or otherwise is the installation of an A-rated gas-fired condensing boilers and heating controls.
The benefits of condensing boilers and heating controls:
• Gas energy efficient, condensing boilers have an efficiency of over 90%, which means that they turn 90% of the energy potential within the fuel into useful heat.
• Older boilers could convert as little as 70% into useful heat and it is estimated that as many as 4.5m homes still use these ‘G rated’ inefficient boilers. Replacing these boilers could save the owners £250-300 every year on their energy bills.
• A thermostat in your home allows you to set the temperature of your house, working in conjunction with the boiler to ensure you are living in comfort.
• These controls are vital in the home since they ensure this comfortable temperature is achieved using the minimum amount of energy, helping to coincide with your usage patterns.
Loft insulation is also amongst the most effective ways to reduce heat loss from your home and can really help to reduce your energy bills.
As 26% of heat is lost through the roof, insulating your loft or attic space is a great way to achieve better energy efficiency.
The benefits of loft and roof insulation include:
• Save an average of £180 per year with reduced energy bills
• Reduce carbon emissions of up to 620kg every year
• Improve your home’s energy efficiency rating
• Add value to your property
• Reduce noise
Why choose Pyramid Solution for your energy efficiency measures?
Historically Pyramid Solution has participated in all of the main energy efficiency schemes since their very beginning in 2012-2013, including Green Deal, GHDIF, ECO (HHCRO, CERO, CSCO), and the Green Deal Communities Fund, both as a PAS2030-certified Green Deal Installer and a PAS2030-certified Green Deal Advisor.
We also have experience working with Councils and have successfully turned over a hundred external wall insulation projects under the Smart Homes Grants scheme in 2015 and 2016, which included six London boroughs, including Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey Islington and Waltham Forest.
We have invaluable experience in installing all of the main energy efficiency measures:
• Cylinder thermostats
• External wall insulation systems
• Fan-assisted replacement storage heaters
• Flue gas heat recovery devices
• Gas-fired condensing boilers
• Heating controls (for wet central heating system and warm air system)
• Hot water controls (including timers and temperature control)
• Internal wall insulation (of external walls) systems
• Lighting systems, fittings and controls (including roof lights, lamps and luminaires)
• Loft or rafter insulation (including loft hatch insulation)
• Roof insulation
• Room in roof insulation
Currently, we are well prepared to take part in the Green Home Grant scheme, which allows eligible park home owners, long-leaseholders and shared owners, as well as private or social landlords to apply for vouchers that cover two-thirds of the cost of qualifying energy efficiency or low carbon heating improvements to your home. The maximum value of the voucher is £5,000. If you are on a low income and receive certain benefits, you can receive a voucher covering all of the cost of the improvements. The maximum value of the voucher is £10,000. A full list of qualifying benefits are available on the Simple Energy Advice website.
Our main focus at present are the following primary and secondary measures covered by the GHG scheme:
- solid wall
- insulating a park home
- double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazed windows)
- secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing)
- external energy efficient doors (replacing single glazed or solid doors installed before 2002)
What is more, as a property maintenance company with proven electrical, gas and plumbing track record, we can offer both domestic and non-domestic assessment services and recommend the right improvements for your property needs.
Our Approved Installer Certification ID is: BFCI 0733
Our TrustMark Licence Number is: 1885243