Energy Efficiency Measures
- What energy efficiency measures are available and how to choose the best one for my property?
- Why choose Pyramid Solution for your energy efficiency measures?
- The benefits of having External Wall Insulation
- The benefits of condensing boilers and heating controls
- Loft insulation
- The benefits of loft and roof insulation include
In simple terms, improving energy efficiency means getting more from the energy that we use.
Under the UK National Energy Efficiency Action Plan published in April 2014 the UK’s target was set at the level of 129.2 million tonnes of oil equivalent (mtoe) for final energy consumption on a net calorific value basis. This represents an 18% reduction in final energy consumption, as part of the EU 2020 Energy Efficiency Target.
With the uncertain post-Brexit energy climate, the abolition of the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the transfer of its roles to the new Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (DBEIS), the future of state and EU-subsidised energy efficiency measures remains uncertain. The need for energy efficiency however remains unchanged, irrespective of the political and economic situation simply because the benefits of energy efficiency are unquestionable.
Some of the global benefits of energy efficiency:
• economic growth
• bolster productivity
• increasing growth and reducing inflation
• savings for domestic and business consumers
• tackling of fuel poverty
• emission reductions
• sustainable and secure energy system
What energy efficiency measures are available and how to choose the best one for my property?
All of the applicable energy improvements to your property are listed on your property’s energy performance certificate (EPC) or green deal advice report (GDAR), also known as an occupancy assessment (OA).
One of the best ways to get a warmer, greener, and better home is to install external or internal wall insulation.
Properties built before 1930 tend to have solid walls, where the main external walls consist of a solid brick about 250mm in thickness. In these properties, internal or external insulation needs fixing to the solid walls to help slow down the movement of heat through them.
A property can lose over 40% of its heat through solid walls. Living in an uninsulated home could be costing you hundreds of pounds a year. The solution is solid wall insulation which can significantly reduce heat loss, save you money on your energy bills, benefit the environment by reducing carbon emissions and improve the appearance of your property.
The benefits of having External Wall Insulation:
• EWI will help you save money on heating bills
• It will minimise heat loss and gain (warm in winter, cool in summer)
• It will improve the energy efficiency in your home
• It can provide reduction in sound transmission and thus improve the acoustics of your building by keeping the noise out
• It will also improve the appearance and increase the value of your home
• It will provide a weatherproof durable architectural facade
• It satisfies Part L of the building regulations and meets NHBC requirements
• And last but not least, it will help the Environment by burning less fossil fuel
Another improvement which can greatly benefit your property, rental or otherwise is the installation of an A-rated gas-fired condensing boilers and heating controls.
The benefits of condensing boilers and heating controls:
• Gas energy efficient, condensing boilers have an efficiency of over 90%, which means that they turn 90% of the energy potential within the fuel into useful heat.
• Older boilers could convert as little as 70% into useful heat and it is estimated that as many as 4.5m homes still use these ‘G rated’ inefficient boilers. Replacing these boilers could save the owners £250-300 every year on their energy bills.
• A thermostat in your home allows you to set the temperature of your house, working in conjunction with the boiler to ensure you are living in comfort.
• These controls are vital in the home since they ensure this comfortable temperature is achieved using the minimum amount of energy, helping to coincide with your usage patterns.
Loft insulation is also amongst the most effective ways to reduce heat loss from your home and can really help to reduce your energy bills.
As 26% of heat is lost through the roof, insulating your loft or attic space is a great way to achieve better energy efficiency.
The benefits of loft and roof insulation include:
• Save an average of £180 per year with reduced energy bills
• Reduce carbon emissions of up to 620kg every year
• Improve your home’s energy efficiency rating
• Add value to your property
• Reduce noise
Why choose Pyramid Solution for your energy efficiency measures?
Being both an NICEIC-accredited PAS2030-certified Green Deal Installer and a Stroma-approved Green Deal Advisor, Pyramid Solution has participated in all of the main energy efficiency schemes since their very beginning in 2012-2013, including Green Deal, GHDIF, ECO (HHCRO, CERO, CSCO), and the Green Deal Communities Fund.
We have invaluable experience in installing all of the main energy efficiency measures:
• Cylinder thermostats
• External wall insulation systems
• Fan-assisted replacement storage heaters
• Flue gas heat recovery devices
• Gas-fired condensing boilers
• Heating controls (for wet central heating system and warm air system)
• Hot water controls (including timers and temperature control)
• Internal wall insulation (of external walls) systems
• Lighting systems, fittings and controls (including roof lights, lamps and luminaires)
• Loft or rafter insulation (including loft hatch insulation)
• Roof insulation
• Room in roof insulation
What is more, as a Green Deal assessor and advisor organisation, with proven electrical, gas and property maintenance track record, we can offer both domestic and non-domestic assessment services and recommend the right improvements for your property needs.
Our Green Deal Installer Certification ID is NICI00538
Our Green Deal Assessor (GDA) and Green Deal Advisor Organisation (GDAO) Certification ID is STRA10262